Identity Theft Protection
The following steps can help protect you against identity theft.
1. DO NOT respond to emails or phone calls asking for your account information.
- Phishing emails are fake emails made to resemble communications from legitimate companies. These emails warn you of urgent account issues to trick you into clicking a link in the email and entering your account information. NEVER access our bank website or online services from an email link.
- Spoof websites are fake web sites intended to capture your account information. Always enter the bank web site name to access www.forestcommericalbank.com or from your Favorites button.
- Beware of phone calls soliciting your account information from a customer service center. Hang up and call the number listed on our bank web site.
2. Protect Your Personal Information.
- Protect yourself from identity thieves rummaging through your trash and breaking into your mailbox.
- Shred important papers before throwing away and protect your mailbox.
- Remember – do not carry any unnecessary personal information in your wallet or purse which, if stolen, would provide useful information to the thief.
3. Protect Your Computer.
- Insure you have software protection by running antivirus software and installing all security patches.
- Set up a firewall to prevent intruders from reaching your computer.
- Always use strong passwords for your online accounts. Use at least 8 characters with a combination of upper and lowercase numbers with numbers and symbol characters.
4. Monitor Your Computer
The longer a breach goes undetected, the greater the impact on you. Monitor your accounts for suspicious activity and, if suspicious activity is discovered, contact us immediately. Do not wait. Additional tools to monitor your credit activity are listed below.
5. Monitor your credit or report fraud activity by using the three major credit bureasu.
To report fraud: 1-800-525-6285
Or write: PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
To report fraud: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
Or write: PO Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
To report fraud: 1-800-680-7289
Or write: Fraud Victim Assistance Division, PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92634
If you believe you are a victim of Identity Theft, click here (http://www.idtheft.gov/) and select "Report Identity Theft" to learn how to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. This web site also has useful information on additional measures you can take to protect yourself from Identity Theft.
If you Social Security number has been used as a fraud, contact the Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline at 1-800-269-0271. You can also visit your Social Security office or the agency's web site at https://www.socialsecurity.gov/fraudreport/oig/public_fraud_reporting/form.htm
If your mail has been stolen or compromised, report it to your local post office or visit their web site at http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov